Our sedation therapy in Chester, VA, helps deliver the best treatment your smile needs
With any oral surgery comes the chance that you could experience some level of discomfort. Sometimes, there’s just no getting around it. In these situations, anesthesia and patient sedation are commonly administered to help relieve any discomfort during your procedure. Most of our patients who receive sedation therapy in Chester, VA, tell us that they’re more comfortable after the procedure than they’d expected to be.
Procedures such as dental implants and tooth extractions typically involve some degree of discomfort for a patient. Anesthesia and sedatives are commonly administered to help relieve any discomfort during these and other dental processes. Additionally, your dentist may prescribe medications to ease any discomfort that may occur after your procedure. Typically, a procedure will be performed under local anesthetic, unless another type of sedation is preferred. We will meet with you beforehand to discuss your options.
The benefits of sedation therapy include:
- It starts working almost immediately, and you feel minimal to no pain throughout your procedure
- It creates a period of amnesia, so you won’t remember the procedure at all when you wake up
- It allows you to cooperate for a period of time that allows your dentist and his team to expertly perform your procedure
Our two types of sedation therapy in Chester, VA
- Inhaled sedation. You breathe nitrous oxide—commonly known as “laughing gas”—combined with oxygen through a mask that’s placed over your nose. The gas helps you relax. Your dentist can control the amount of sedation you receive, and the gas tends to wear off quickly. This is the only form of sedation where you may be able to drive yourself home after the procedure.
- Oral sedation. Depending on the total dose given, oral sedation can range from minimal to moderate. This is the type of anesthesia most commonly associated with sedation dentistry. Some people become groggy enough from moderate oral sedation to actually fall asleep during the procedure. They usually can, though, be awakened with a gentle touch.
Get your course of treatment started today and let chester family dentistry take care of your comfort level
There’s no need to put off a needed oral health treatment due to anxiety about potential discomfort. We know that may be easier said than done, but we are definitely here to not only ease your concerns but also ensure that your treatment is as comfortable as it can be. Your dental health is important to us and we will take every step to help you restore or keep that great, natural smile of yours!
Don’t hesitate to reach out to us at any point to discuss your upcoming treatment. For new patients, schedule a consultation today to start the discussion about your treatment needs and if they’ll involve any form of our gentle, caring sedation therapy in Chester, VA.